*One of the most important things to keep in mind when you start your cake search is to make sure you have enough time. The average time to start your search is about 4-6 months so that you can visit as many bakery's as possible as well as do several cake tastings to make sure that your cake will taste the way you want it to.
*When scheduling cake tastings keep in mind that all bakery's are different. Some like to schedule a cake tasteing day where they have multiple potential clients come in at the same time. Some also charge for cake tasteings while some provide free tasteings.
*One-on-One consultations are usually the best way.
*Bakery's usually have two types of appointments pure tasteing where you try a combination of the cake with the frosting and a sit-down consultation where you discuss your ideas.
Some tips in tasteing:
- Don't get talked into something you do not like
- Try the different flavors even if it sounds like something you would not like
- Be aware of what kind of ingrediants are included
- Find out if you can include different flavors for each tier since not everyone likes the same flavors
- Ask to see a portfolio of previous cakes as well as refrences